Monday, October 06, 2008

Justice Juiced

OJ. The Juice. Orenthal James Simpson was convicted in Las Vegas for kidnapping and armed robbery this weekend.

I think there may be some problems with the conviction though. News reports have already been flying that the jury was actually thinking about his trial for murder 13 years ago and that they had disagreed with his acquittal then. This is not a good thing. How do we really know that he was justly convicted? We don't and that does not make me feel more secure about justice in America.

My opinion of his acquittal is not popular amongst my fellow white folks. I wasn't in that alley, I didn't see the crime. What we did have was some reasonable evidence that OJ had abused Nicole during their marriage and that, along with him being black, made him the only suspect in the murders of Nicole Simpson and the Goldman lad. LAPD's investigation started and stopped with OJ and didn't seek to exclude anyone else. That's not good for the rest of us citizens. Not in the long run of things anyway. I believe in due diligence and all the more because of the number of men and women found to have been wrongly convicted of capitol crimes and sent to death row or sent to life in prison without possibility of parole.

For the record, I think the way OJ went about trying to get his 'stolen' memorabilia back was stupid beyond belief; given his notoriety he should have had his attorney contact the police to handle it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say that I didn't immediately think that attempt was completely insane, but lately I heard that it was fabricated lies.

Who knows what the truth is but I can believe this guy is burning up taxpayer funds again. Not to mention the ones he does not have.

I just don't know what to say about this. See you soon.

Jesse

Morgan said...

It's a real conundrum. Our justice system is so off kilter it's hard to know when justice has been properly administered these days.