Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Deserved Honor


I read today that Dr. Michael Debakey was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. I think that is one helluva deserving recipient. I remember him from when I was 7-8 years old and the big news of the day was his pioneering work in open heart surgery along with Dr. Denton Cooley in Houston, TX. It was a frelling miracle to most of us in the early 1960s. There was a sense of that what they did was audacious; them laying hands on someone's heart and repairing bad valves and more. It was a world shaking time and even as a kid, I got 'it' that this was history with a capital 'H'. Some people say when that recognition hits, it's like a shimmer. I was dazzled, it shimmered so brightly. Today, millions of lives have been improved for the better because of him and his audacity. So, yeah, I'm pleased that Congress did this.

The press release from the American Heart Association said this, congratulating Dr. Debakey:

No comments: