Sunday, July 08, 2007

Make Up Day


I needed to do some heavy making up Saturday. It was only the right thing to do. After all, I hadn't gotten in a decent work out all week. I didn't grind to a halt, but my workouts just got cut short because other fun things came up. Y'all know how that one goes.

Friday night's party was just dandy. We fed people grilled rib-eye steak, boneless country pork ribs with bb-q sauce all nicely slow cooked, and grilled chicken with sides of potato salad & cole slaw. One friend brought some Kabul Party Rice which tasted really wonderful to me; another brought the fixings for strawberry-rhubarb cobbler so it could be served fresh from the oven. (that gal also wins ribbon for her pies at the state fair too.) After eating and lots of talkin' we lit off fireworks for nearly an hour, barely making a dent in what we'd gathered up. Gosh, we'll be able to shoot some fireworks for a rack of birthdays in August and have plenty left for New Year's Eve.

So yesterday, @ 3:00 pm, I drove up to work to use the workout room. After a few minutes of stretching and loosening up, I did a quick lap on the treadmill to finish warming up. Then it was time to hit the weight machine with leg curls and leg presses. I did about 20 crunches after that and some squats while holding on a 10 lb dumbbell in each hand. Then it was on to the stationary recumbant bicycle. Pedaled til the meter said 2.5 miles and read part of a chapter of "Kushiel's Scion." (can't wait for Kushiel's Justice, either.) I was starting to feel a little dewy at that point, moisture prickling my arms, shoulders and face, as I set up the teaadmill for my 30 minute weight loss regimen... varying inclines and walking speeds up to 3.5 mph.

Working out like that, my iPod serenaded me with:
  • Arlo Guthrie: "The City of New Orleans'

  • The Battlefield Band: "The Lady Leroy" and "The Yew Tree" from their Best Of Battlefield Band 1977-2001

  • Celtic Shores: "Siuil a Ruin"

  • Eileen Ivers: "Darling Corey" from Immigrant Soul

  • Focus: "Hocus Pocus" from Moving Waves

  • Israel Kamakawiwo'o': "Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World" from Facing Future

  • Gaelic Storm: "Bonny Ship the Diamond/Tamlinn" & "Johnny Jumpup/Morrison's Jig" from Gaelic Storm

  • Joe Satriani: "It's So Good" from Super Colossal

  • Miles Davis: "Concierto de Aranjuez, Pt. 1" from Sketches of Spain.
So what did you all catch up on doing recently? Was it good?

No comments: