Thursday, June 14, 2007

Wilde Quotes


Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite quotable authors, so I thought I'd put up some of my favorites for you today.

"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. "

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." from An Ideal Husband, 1893

"I can resist anything but temptation." Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I

"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

"Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them." The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

I love that all of these notions apply to us even today. Wilde was an astute commentator of the human condition in addition to being tart and witty.

The last quote about children and their parents has been expecially important to me over the decades. I'm one of those kids who forgave their parents, which has given me huge peace of mind over the long run. It didn't happen overnight -- it took getting a little insight, but once I got the insight, forgiveness happened.

What about you? Have you forgiven your parents? Would you like to? Barring a life of such abuse from a parent that the only safety is in staying away and shutting off that connection; if you can't forgive, what happened? what did they singly or collectively do that was so unforgivable?

No comments: